Jan Prażuch, originally from Poland, has traveled for many years around the world gathering inspiration and knowledge about different ways of living with Nature. Since 2014 he has been co-creating a Natural Builders collective known as Diggers&Dreamers. In 2019 he settled in Alentejo and has been working actively as a carpinter as well as teaching his skills to others.
In this busy one day workshop you will learn how to build a Clay Pizza Oven using a variety of natural materials and techniques. The knowledge and experience you gain will allow you to build your very own oven at home as well as open up options for many other possible applications.
We will start in the morning with a short lecture covering:
- a brief introduction to some concepts and key terms of Natural Building and the variety of materials used
- history and different styles of bread ovens around the world and the physics involved in a baking process
- design of our Pizza Oven and explanation of the different steps needed.
We will then proceed to the hands-on part where apart from getting dirty, everyone will have a chance to learn how to:
- test your soil mix in various ways
- prepare COB and light clay mixes
- level and set the oven base with sand and fire bricks
- build the sand dome and the three diffent layers of the oven, as well as shaping the door and the chimney
We will meet at Lalaland on Saturday 02.07.2022 starting at 9.00am, we will have a lunch break (bring a snack) and then continue with hand on workshop.
The total cost is 45€
- Old clothing that will get very dirty and extra clothing for after workshop.